Description and location
Palmer Street is located in Fitzroy and runs off the adjacent main street, Nicholson Street. It is located beside the Melbourne Museum, Royal Exhibition Building and Carlton Gardens.
- Linear commercial use along Gertrude and Smith Streets.
- Interesting education and health precinct located in the southwest corner.
- Mixed used of commercial and residential typologies.
- Palmer Street contains various building types including commercial (Quest Serviced Apartment), educational (Academy of Mary Immaculate) and residential (commission and private house).
- Palmer Street has very low traffic volumes due difficult vehicular access.
- It is blocked off to car traffic in the middle.
- One way access from Fitzroy Street and high volume traffic in Nicholson Street.
- Narrow access from Royal Lane.
- Street parking is divided between public parking and permit parking zones used by local residents.
Why choose this street?
- Complexity of the building types along the street, including a school, church, serviced apartments, residential apartments and commission housing.
- This mix has the potential for a diverse cultural and social background.
- Lack of vehicular access.
- Potential for improvement of the use of the street in future.
- Palmer Street, copyright the author.
- Map, sourced from Google Maps.
- Building types overview, this and subsequent images copyright the author.
- Building types.
- Building types analysis.
- Street dimensions.
- Carparking types.
- Tree cover.