Following on from my previous post summarising interviews I conducted along North and Clark Streets, this post looks at your ideas and thoughts for the future potential of the street. I asked you about:
- Your ideas for new uses of the streets.
- How the facilities could help you and your business.
- Times of the day, week and year that you would use them.
- Your preference for communal or private space.
- If you are prepared to assist in funding potential upgrades.
Here is what I was told:
Based on this input:
- Over 60% of you would like to enhance recreational uses for the street by making it greener, with trees and park-like amenities. This could relate to the lack of private outdoor space within properties in commercial areas.
- 45% of you want a better car parking system. You tend to be more interested in a better organised parking system that suits commercial uses rather than simply increasing the number of spaces.
- Around 80% of you who think parking is an issue would be prepared to pay for a better designed parking system.
- Almost all companies that have regular deliveries need better space for truck manoeuvring on the street.
- 25% of you identify networking with local businesses in the area as a potential improvement for the future street design.
- 33% of you see some sort of commercial potential in a newly designed street.
- Your suggestions for usage times are mainly (70%) during business hours, although you also nominate some interesting other times of potential use, such as monthly gatherings or even biannual festival-like events.
- 59% of you would be prepared to contribute financially to a successful scheme. All of you who said yes to this would accept an increase in rates. About 20% said of you would contribute capital funding if the project has some commercial benefit.
- 50% of you would be happy to help maintain the future street if you are happy with it. That said, most of those (67%) who are happy to help would only do so if local council takes responsibility for tasks greater than cleaning up rubbish occasionally.
- Desired street use, this and subsequent images copyright the author.
- Times of potential use.
- Communal vs private.
- Maintenance and payment.